I really enjoyed creating this web presence!
It presented an intriguing mix of challenges, and forced me to weigh a lot of different options for each theme, page, layout, style, and design choice I made.
The single hardest part of the entire process was picking the starting point from which to build. Finding the theme was actually somewhat grueling, as I would find one I thought would work great, try it out, plop some content into it, make a couple style adjustments, and then hit a snag. Sometimes it was with how the content laid out, sometimes it was a missing feature or customization, or a number of different factors. This happened so many times before I finally found the theme I did. Relia, the theme I ended up with seemed to strike a good balance between being pleasing to the eye, being functional (content-wise) in the ways I needed it to be, and being customizable enough for me to change the things I wanted to.
For each blog post and project page, I focused on revising them to be much more reader-friendly. I reduced the length and complexity of many sentences, and broke up large blocks of text into much more manageable, bite-size chunks. In my tiny portfolio pages, even though I had the option to display them using a gallery plugin, I still decided to keep the Flickr slideshow embedded. Firstly, I do like the way it looks, and secondly, it maintains the fact that people can’t download the images quite as easily.
The about page, contact page, and resume page I made the executive decision to combine all into one. It just made much more sense to have them all contained within one place. The about page stood fine on its own, but the contact page would only have had a few lines of text, and I really only wanted to say “Resume available upon request’ instead of actually posting a file for any visitor to peruse. It felt like, to a viewer, it would be much more navigationally concise and intuitive to have all the information in one spot instead of having to navigate between two or three different pages, each with only a small amount of content on them.
As a whole, this project really made me look back at my work from this semester and challenged me to figure out how it could be displayed in a single, more central place!